Monday, September 9, 2013

Starting Point





Every writer has a starting point, whether it's a first novel, novella or so. Every writer ought to begin somewhere. I wrote my first novel when I was in 1st year of secondary school. At that time, I was really young, and those lines were written in French. Now, you probably wonder if I finished this written material? Yes, I did. It took me three notebooks to finish because it was handwritten. Then again, you probably want to know about the writing quality right? Well, it's as if I could read your mind. At the time, I finished this project I was thrilled and beyond myself; because I wrote and completed my first novel.

If I should tell you, this project was never published. It was stored in the drawer to gather dust with some other writings. Now as I look back through these pages- the writing was sucked beyond comprehension. However, it still feels good to know that I started and finished.

My main point is: Once you start on a writing project make sure you finish it.

Practice makes perfect- no one can master at something on the first try out.

Writing is fun. You shouldn't be scared to write. And don't let others discourage you either.

Now... Pick up that notebook, go to your laptop, PC and anywhere comfortable start writing the little story inside your head that has been wanted to come out. I'm pretty sure there's one somewhere. You just have to let your fingers take the lead.

Remember for visual practice: think of a picture, a daily scene, a place where you have been in the past. Now all you have to do- close your eyes recreate these imageries and make them your own because your writing must be authentic.

Listening practice: close your eyes, think of a tree how the leave makes sounds. The sound of a metal object falls on the wooden floor, laminated floor, cement floor tiles, carpet flooring and so forth... Don't forget the fact, that part of writing is listening.

For characters sounds and voices- think of the people you meet so far, your family members, friends, teens, adolescents, children and babies. Your job, is to identify their tone, level of energy when talking, rate of vibration(pitch) , Again, close your eyes recreate the sounds, so that you can choose the right voice for your characters. Remember- your writing must be authentic. You are going to use these techniques in character development. Matters like pacing and foreshadowing are extremely important when writing a novel, which I will bring up in later post.

Merry writing! Emoji

No comments:

Post a Comment